Saturday, May 16, 2009

Pop & the Rabbi

The Pope & the Rabbi

Several centuries ago, the Pope decreed all the Jews must convert or leave Italy. There was a huge outcry from the Jews. So the Pope offered a deal. He'd have a religious debate with a Rabbi. If he won, they could stay. If the Pope won, they'd have to leave.

The Jews met and picked an old, wise Rabbi, Moishe. However, as Moishe spoke no Italian & the Pope spoke no Yiddish, they agreed it'd be a "silent" debate. On the chosen day, they sat opposite each other for a full minute before the Pope raised 3 fingers. Rabbi Moishe looked back & raised one finger.

Next the Pope waved his finger around his head. Rabbi Moishe pointed to the ground where he sat. The Pope brought out a communion wafer & a chalice of wine.

Rabbi Moishe pulled out an apple. With that, the Pope stood up & conceded. Rabbi Moishe was so clever & the Jews could stay.

Later, the Cardinals met with the Pope, asking what had happened. He said, "First I held up 3 fingers to represent the Trinity. He responded by holding up one finger to remind me that there is still only one God common to both our beliefs.

Then, I waved my finger to show him that God's all around us. He responded by pointing to the ground to show that God was here too.

I pulled out the wine & wafer to show that God absolves us of all our sins. He pulled out an apple to remind me of the original sin. He had me beaten & I couldn't go on."

Meanwhile the Jews gathered around Rabbi Moishe. "What happened?" they asked. "Well," said Moishe, "First he said we had three days to leave. So I said, Up yours!

Then he said the whole country would be cleared of Jews & I said we're staying right here."

"And then what," asked a woman.

"Who knows?" said Moishe, "He took out his lunch. So I took out mine."

No comments: