Saturday, April 21, 2007

I Write Because …

4/12/07 I Write Because … By M. Asinoff

I can’t stop. I wouldn’t want to if I could, because I enjoy writing tremendously. And am blessed: it's my addiction, passion, obsession and hobby. It makes me feel so alive! It gives me a greater sense or purpose. I have “eternal” patience for it. And am never frustrated or stressed by it, despite often being the opposite by many other things. Sometimes I’m annoyed I have to stop to go to the bathroom because I’m so into it.

In college I wrote many essays/term papers. I didn't mind because a big-part of education-is developing good writing skills. I learned this when blessed with Professor Paul Broer in Freshman-English. I was a big talk-radio buff and he helped me develop that into an extremely profound passion-for writing.

Most of my essays had political affiliation and I soon learned we disagreed, but he said -something I’ll never forget: “Writing’s hard-enough, you shouldn’t have to read my mind as to what I want.” He always-encouraged me to express- myself to the best of my ability and inspired- me when he said something paradoxically very profound, yet so-simple: “You write because you have something to say.”

I’m very grateful & by the-end of the term we became friends. We never imagined that he’d help inspire me to be an English teacher & professor. And develop a three-page, doubled–spaced essay I wrote for him in November, 1991, would develop into a 140- page, single-spaced, outline, for - a -book. (He jokes it's the essay that won't die and I'm the student who won’t leave because I took two Literature courses with him after that. I kid him about having the only Bachelor’s in “Broer”).

Writing’s gratifying: I can vent my thoughts and feelings. Plus I get the same emotional release and gratification as telling someone, without fear it’ll be revealed if whomever I tell, can’t, or won't keep a secret. By writing I decide what, when and if I want to share.

It’s a diagnostic tool: half the "battle" of problem -solving is stress, anxiety and frustration emanating from the inability to express and I.D. problems It enables me to cut that by collecting, condensing, coordinating and clarifying my thoughts. So I can focus on resolution.

Anne Frank said, “Paper is more ‘patient’ than people.” It obviously inspired her famous diary. Unfortunately, she’s right: it’s never annoyed, or indifferent, unlike people.

Writing also offers a temporary escape from life's pressures without the negative effects of drugs or alcohol. It helps me shut-out reality by retreating into my own fantasy world. It also lets me be productive and have some alone time. Plus "the limits are that of the -imagination" (Rod Serling, Twilight Zone).

Despite the fact that we live in an era of super computers, the only hardware and software required never changes: all you need is a pen or pencil, paper and a desire to express yourself. I love “playing” with words: rephrasing and rearranging them because I’m an artist: words are my paintbrush and paper's my canvas. Plus I challenge- myself and my readers’ vocabularies with unique and unusual words.

Larry Gelbart, the comedy writer/author of M*A*S*H*, described it as "the endless rearranging of 26 letters". Professor Alice Richardson’s a friend and writer. She said something I’ll never forget: "Writers wage a war with words on paper"! This struggle isn't just timeless. It transcends barriers: time, race, creed, color, age, religion, social/ financial status, time and place of birth, etc.

The value of good writing skills is the most important thing I learned in college. Interestingly, I learned this accidentally: I was taking Psychology with Dr. Steve Alden, in July, 1991, when- a classmate complained to him about essays on the midterm. He responded with something so profound I can't believe I never realized: "Life's not multiple -choice! Like it, or not, everywhere you go and whatever you do for a living you must be able to write. If you're a supervisor, manager, secretary or business -person you must be able to write -letters, memos and reports! Life's not multiple-choice!"

That day I learned that if you can’t write you're at a huge disadvantage. This was validated when I told Nick, a supervising engineer with a master's degree in it. He said, "I write more since becoming a boss than I did in college and my writing skills have improved considerably as a result. Plus it gives me an advantage over my colleagues, if they can't write and the company wants to let one of us go, it won't be me." In the current economic climate employees are “appliances”, v. assets to nurture, making writing skills invaluable.

Unfortunately, many students are -not -as fortunate -as I am: they do not appreciate the importance of writing skills. They think that teachers are doing them a favor by giving multiple -choice exams. The truth is that teachers who give essay exams and term- papers are doing students a huge favor by helping them write better. People who do not learn to write well are at a major disadvantage because communication skills are more vital than ever before. I know because I have a bachelor's in journalism, and am an aspiring writer and English Teacher, like Steven King.

No comments: